Musical records that shaped the popular music of yesterday, and today

Etiquetas

jueves, 5 de noviembre de 2015

I Love The Ladies

Letra: Grant Clark; Música: Jean Schwartz
Publicada por Waterson, Berlin & Snyder Co. (1914)
Columbia 1513 (Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan) #1 (05/1914)



Presentado por la estrella del vodevil Florenze Tempest, cuenta la historia del joven Johnny Dunn era un vividor. A sus 21 años, solía pasar buena parte de su tiempo rodeado de damas, bailando en los cafés, tomando el té o, en el tiempo de verano, nadando junto a ellas. En Londres, París o Viena, o en cualquier otro lugar, se siente apenado, hasta que oye el sonido de un vestido. Él ama a las mujeres, a las bajas y a las altas. "Dios las bendiga!. El mundo no podría girar sin las bellas mujeres". Para entretenerse, el joven Dunn fue de nuevo a la Facultad, donde había hombres y mujeres. Pensó que tenía mucho que estudiar, pero una joven alumna le hizo girar la cabeza, arrojó entonces sus libros, lanzó su gorra y gritó: Hurra!, y le oyeron a veinte millas de distancia".

El tema fue popularizado por Irving Kaufman (Edison 2328) y, principalmente, por Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan (Columbia 1513), que la llevaron al nº 1 en mayo de 1914: 


"Young Johnny Dunn was twenty / one, He liked to dance in each café. He liked the / ladies, so they say; That´s why he danc´d in each café. / His daddy´s got an awful lot, That makes it / soft for little Dunn. When he said, "Go to work, my / son!", Johnny said, "I´m having too much fun!" / I love the Ladies, I love the ladies, I love to / be among the girls; And when it´s five o´clock, and tea is set, I like to / have my tea with some brunette. I love the ladies, I love the / ladies, And in the good old Summer time. When I´m in / swimmin´, I love the women, Because it makes the swimmin´ so / fine. When I´m in London, Paris, and old Vienna, or any other / town, I get so homesick, homesick Unless I´m hearing the rustle of a / gown. I love the ladies, I love the ladies; I love the small ones, tall ones. / God bless ´em! The world can´t twirl around without a beautiful / girl. I love the girl. / To have some fun, young Mister / Dunn went off to college once again: a college / where there´s girls and men; He thought he´d learn a lot, and / then a sweet coed soon turn´d his head. He burn´d his / study books, they say, Threw up his cap and yelled, "Hurray!" And they heard him twenty miles away".



El tema fue grabado también por William J. Halley (Victor 14527, 1914), Billy Murray (Victor 14912, 1914), y aparece en algunos medleys de la Victor Light Opera Company (Victor 14790 y 15049: "Broadway Favorites")